We are so happy and proud today to support George Washington Carver Middle School in Miami as they celebrate 30 years of having the Center for International Education/ International Studies on campus. bravo!
a little history about Carver:
Carver Middle School has a somewhat interesting past. It was founded at the end of the 19th century as a private school for African-American children in the Coconut Grove neighborhood of Miami. The school eventually settled into its current location when famous Coral Gables developer George Merrick offered up land on Grand Avenue and Lincoln Drive in Coconut Grove in 1924. In the early 40's the school was renamed after George Washington Carver. Serving grades K-12 until 1966, overcrowding increasingly became an issue as portable buildings covered the campus. That spring saw Carver graduate their last high school senior class. The school remained segregated until 1970 and has since proudly maintained a multi-racial and multi-ethnic heritage, and in 1987 became a magnet school with a focus on International Studies.