ohh no, your cart is empty, checkout some great recommendations below!
Research and Development Food Engineer
The R&D Food Engineer will support the development and commercialization of new products in response to customer or internal objectives. This includes innovating and developing new product concepts, prototypes, and processes as well as technical advice in developing new recipes. The ideal candidate must be willing to break boundaries, take risks, and explore new ideas to solve our most complex technical requests.
The individual must possess strong food knowledge background with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. This position will help to identify opportunities to drive revenue growth and create intellectual property with a sustainability mindset that enhances our competitive advantage in new products. The ideal candidate will have a can-do attitude with a curiosity. Candidates should combine strong technical, project management, and communication skills. The R&D Food Engineer will work in conjunction with the R&D and plant operations team to bring concepts to market.
Detailed work description
This position supports the creation of formulas/recipes for commercialization and costing; helps to adapt formulas to production.
- The ideal candidate will support multiple projects simultaneously.
- Creates samples for external customers in a timely manner and will maintain concise documentation of formulas and work papers.
- The Food Engineer presents new product and process facts and ideas clearly, accurately, and persuasively to internal cross-functional teams.
- Assists in pipeline scoping and technical assessment of future innovation projects & ideas.
- Works with operations on initial production runs and as needed to maintain product quality levels and conducts core ingredient research, development of new products, cost, and quality improvements to current products, shelf-life improvement, and new product research.
- Confers with vendors, engineers, packaging, and marketing to understand available technology and provide ideas, solutions, and alternatives to meet food safety, quality, costs, and customer requirements.
- Maintains an awareness of market food trends and comparative products from all major retailers/competitors and recommends product development ideas in line with those trends.
- Works cross functionally with quality assurance, marketing, sales, operations, maintenance, business development, etc.
- Up to 10% travel.
Position Requirements / Competencies
- BS Degree in food science, food engineering or equivalent major.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the food industry, preferably commercial bakery experience
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and ability to troubleshoot.
- Ingredient technical knowledge.
- Critical thinking, fast adaption skills, and ability to work cross functionally.
- Knowledge and experience with food processing facilities and equipment.
- Excellent communication & computer skills (MS office, Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with contacts both inside and outside the company.
- Passion for food.