ohh no, your cart is empty, browse one of our tasty categories!
- 1 bakerly soft brioche baguette
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 4 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons flour all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1/2 lb gruyere grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1.75 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, butter, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until onions are very soft and caramelized, 30-45 mins, depending on serving size.
- Add the wine and beef stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, 20-30 mins.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs, dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for 10 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When you are ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the bakerly baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, about 3-5 mins.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and float several of the gruyere croutons on top.