Prep time5 mins
Cook time45 mins
Sweater weather calls for delicious and warm meals! Curl up by the fire with a blanket and a bowl of French onion soup topped with gruyère bakerly brioche baguette toasts. This easy and cozy recipe is sure to impress!
- 1 soft brioche bakerly baguette
- 2 large red onions
- 4 tbsp. butter – unsalted
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 pound gruyère cheese – or mix of gruyère and emmental cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice 6 pieces of soft brioche baguette about 1 inch thick, and toast them at 250 F for 15-20 minutes. Grate 1 pound of gruyère and chop 2 large red onions into chunky pieces.
- Add 4 tbsp of butter to a large pot and melt. Add your chopped onions and cook until soft and slightly browned, for about 15 mins. Add 1 tsp of thyme and sprinkle with fresh pepper. Mix with onions for 1 minute.
- Once your bakerly brioche bread is done toasting, remove them and raise the oven temperature to 450 F. Pour 6 cups of beef broth into the onions. Turn heat to high and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup into bowls. Add bakerly brioche toasts to each bowl and sprinkle your grated gruyère cheese. Place carefully in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is crispy around the edges.
- Remove from the oven carefully and serve.
- The last step is to enjoy, bon appétit!