creamy pumpkin soup with brioche rolls grilled cheese croutons
Prep time5 mins
Cook time5 mins
Most soups are perfectly paired with some added texture — some type of crunch. That’s where these grilled cheese bakerly brioche rolls croutons come in. Yes, you read that right, grilled cheese croutons! Enjoy the chillier weather and keep your hands warm with this delicious and creamy pumpkin soup, which is truly the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 pack of bakerly brioche rolls
- 5-10 cheese slices
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup grated yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large pot add the butter, onion, and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to allow the onions to become soft and translucent.
- Whisk in the pumpkin puree and let it cook for 3 minutes with the onion/garlic mixture. Whisk in the chicken broth and spices. Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for 2 minutes. Give it a taste to see if needs more salt and pepper.
- Make the brioche rolls croutons: While the soup cools make the grilled cheese croutons. Heat a pan over medium heat. Spread butter to the outside of 2 slices bakerly brioche rolls.
- Place one of the slices of brioche rolls into the pan. Top with a few slices of cheese. Then, top with the other slice of bread with the butter side on top. Cover with a lid, cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and the outside is crispy.
- Remove from the pan and cut into bite size pieces. Spoon the soup into a bowl and top with the croutons.
- The last step is to enjoy. Bon appétit!