Prep time15 minutes
Cook time10 minutes
When it comes to sweet breakfasts, French toast undoubtedly ranks towards the top. Typically, all French toast needs is some powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup (and maybe some butter, if that's your thing). But sometimes a classic needs a shake-up. So we created a recipe that adds the complementary tart-sweet flavor of raspberries and creamy texture of ricotta cheese. You won't be disappointed!
- 2 slices bakerly sliced brioche
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 5 fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 pinch powdered sugar
- Spread each slice of brioche with 1/4-cup each of ricotta cheese. Carefully dot one side with fresh raspberries. Close the sandwich with the other slice of brioche with ricotta cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium low heat. Add the butter. When it melts, swirl the pan to combine.
- Dip the entire sandwich in a mixture of the beaten eggs and milk in a wide, shallow bowl or plate with high sides. Let the sandwich “soak” the egg mixture for about a minute, then flip the sandwich over to coat the other side with egg.
- Cook the sandwiches slowly in a skillet or on a griddle on one side until egg is golden brown and set, about five minutes. Turn an cook the other side. Our bread was thick, so we also turned the sandwich on each of its four sides to cook any egg that was on the sides.
- Remove the grilled sandwich from the pan. Cut into halves. Drizzle with maple syrup, dust with powdered sugar, and add fresh raspberries.